Chiropractic Care and Shoulder Pain
The job of a chiropractor is to help the patient enjoy better health, mobility, and comfort through the proper alignment of the spine and the musculoskeletal system as a whole. An important and sometimes challenging part of that goal is treating and guarding against shoulder pain.
The shoulder is an extraordinarily complex structure made from bone, muscle, tendons, and connective tissues all of which are under constant and conflicting dynamic tension 24 hours a day, even when we are at rest. This means that most people will, at some point, experience shoulder pain, discomfort, or stiffness. In acute and even moderate cases of shoulder pain, the patient can lose time at work, miss out on favorite activities, or worse.
Shoulders are vulnerable to a wide range of different types of wear and tear including tendonitis, strains, dislocations, bursitis, rotator cuff injuries, sprains, frozen shoulder, and more. Fortunately, chiropractic medicine encompasses several treatments that can successfully reduce your shoulder pain and restore function and mobility.
Chiropractic Treatment for Shoulder Pain
In addition to chiropractic adjustments, we offer several other effective treatments that will reduce your pain and restore mobility.
- Rehabilitative Exercises: Similar to physical therapy for rehabilitation after an accident, injury, or surgery, rehabilitation exercises can help restore your flexibility and strength to the muscles and tendons surrounding the shoulder joint. The goal is to create a balance between these tissues so that the shoulder sits in its proper position for minimal friction and compression.
- Therapeutic Stretchering: In some cases, the shoulder can become painfully constrained through stress and tension that has built up over time or during stressful periods. Stretching is always good for the muscles and tendons and can help relieve pent up tensions on one side of the shoulder. Hanging from an overhead bar has also been proven to help many common types of shoulder pain.
- Therapeutic Massage: This is another great way to reduce your stress and promote flexibility. Therapeutic massage promotes good circulation to the joint and the surrounding areas and relieves tensions that can exacerbate an unpleasant condition.
- Heat & Ice Application: This therapy is always highly recommended for joint and muscle pain. Heat and ice can help the body to normalize the inflammatory response to the area and promote better circulation.
- Nutrition & Lifestyle Counseling: Proper nutrition, good sleep, and posture are all important parts of staying healthy. We can help you pinpoint specific ways to improve these areas that may be affecting your shoulder pain.
Shoulder Pain Treatment in Topeka
At Counselman & Wade Chiropractic in Topeka, KS, our chiropractor works with you closely to develop treatments that work for you and your lifestyle. Call us today at (785) 234-0521 to schedule an appointment.