Tension headaches affect millions of people around the world. Our team at Counselman & Wade Chiropractic in Topeka is dedicated to helping our patients reduce and eliminate tension headaches through chiropractic care.
Living with Tension Headaches
These headaches create pressure and tension around your head a bit like a tight band. They mostly come from one or a combination of the following:
- Emotional stress often causes our muscles to tense and blood to not flow properly.
- Repetitive stress is typically due to repeating the same activities. One of the top activities tends to be leaning over your phone or tablet for long periods and putting tension on the cervical spine.
- Poor posture creates unnecessary pressure and tension on other areas of the body. It’s usually poor posture that increases the likelihood of a tension headache from leaning over a device.
You may also notice a tension headache if you drive non-stop for hours at a time or sleep on your stomach. Both of these activities put tension on the neck and shoulders, which can lead to a tension headache.
Finding Relief from Tension Headaches
Safe, lasting, and natural relief comes from making changes to your daily life and visiting a chiropractor. Some of the steps you can take at home include the following:
- Find a way to minimize stress, whether that is yoga, journaling, or hiking.
- Keep your posture in check. Set a timer on your device that reminds you to straighten your spine.
- Make exercise and stretching a priority. This can help stretch and strengthen your neck and shoulders.
- Take a break from any activity that involves sitting. A break every hour is ideal but aim for at least every two hours. This can help prevent headaches, as well as back pain and neck pain.
- Be aware of how you sleep and try to stay off of your stomach.
In addition to these steps at home, chiropractic techniques can both address current tension headaches and help prevent future ones. A chiropractic adjustment is one of the safest and most effective techniques for realigning the spinal column, which helps relieve unnecessary tension.
A chiropractic adjustment helps take the pressure off the nervous system by restoring the normal function in the spine, reducing or eliminating back pain, neck pain, and tension headaches. It can also improve your posture naturally, helping you to be more aware of how you sit and stand.
Get Treatment for Tension Headaches in Topeka, KS
Don’t live with tension headaches another day. At Counselman & Wade Chiropractic, our chiropractors can provide the effective and natural pain relief that you need to address your tension headaches. Call our team today at (785) 234-0521 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.