Spinal decompression is a type of chiropractic therapy that involves stretching the spine. With this therapy, a chiropractor uses a traction table or similar motorized device that helps reduce or eliminate back or leg pain. It stretches the spine by taking pressure off the spinal discs.
What Does Spinal Decompression Treat?
It is used for treating the following conditions and health issues:
- Herniated or bulging discs, and degenerative disc disease
- Worn spinal joints - the condition known as posterior facet syndrome
- Neck and lower back pain
- Sciatica - shooting pain down the back of one of the legs
- Diseased or injured spinal nerve roots
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Spinal stenosis (the narrowing of the spinal canal)
How Spinal Decompression Works
You remain completely clothed during the session. A chiropractor fits one harness around your pelvis and the other one - around the trunk. You need to lie either face down or up on a special computer-controlled table. A chiropractic professional operates a computer by customizing the chosen treatment to your specific needs.
Who Should Not Receive Spinal Decompression
You should talk to your doctor to find out whether you are a good candidate for this type of therapy. People with any of the conditions listed below should avoid getting this therapy:
- Advanced osteoporosis (a bone disease characterized by loss of bone density)
- Metal implants in the spine
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (bulging and stretched area of the aorta)
Spinal Decompression is Effective
It has been used for many years, and numerous studies have proven that it is effective. It is a perfect alternative to surgery for patients suffering from chronic back pain. It is very safe compared to the risk and recovery time of surgery.
Call Our Chiropractic Team Today
Our clinic provides quality chiropractic care to residents in and around the heart of Topeka, KS. We specialize in treating a variety of diseases and health conditions, including lower back pain, neck pain, headaches, disc problems, and others. Our chiropractors use different chiropractic treatments, and spinal decompression is one of them. Our mission is to help our patients to enjoy their wellness and life free of pain. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us today at (785) 234-0521.